Developments of Thermomechanical Properties of Soft Crystals
Co-Researcher: Toshiyuki Sasaki (Graduate School of Nanobioscience Department of Materials System Science, Yokohama City University, Assistant Professor)
We develop the control methods for solid morphologies and physical properties of Soft Crystals based on superelasticity exhibited by organic solids (“organosuperelasticity”). A research of superelasticity has been limitedly developed so far as a unique physical property of special alloys known as shape-memory alloys (or superelastic alloys). Organosuperelasticity is a new solid property that appeared in chemistry, and it has reached at a new stage where a research of superelasticity can be developed by chemical techniques. In this research, we aim at (1) developing synthetic and formation methods of superelastic organic crystals, (2) deepening and expanding evaluation methods of the physical properties, and (3) developing modulatable optical properties coupled with superelasticity.
- Shape-Memory Effect in an Organosuperelastic Crystal
Takamizawa, S.; Takasaki, Y. Chem. Sci. 2016, 7, 1527–1534.
- Dynamic Gas-Inclusion in a Single Crystal
Takamizawa, S. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 7033–7036.
- Superelastic Organic Crystals
Takamizawa, S.; Miyamoto, Y. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2014, 53, 6970–6973.
- "A phase-diagram rationalization of thermally and mechanically triggered multiple mechanical responses of an organic crystal” E. R. Engel and *S. Takamizawa, Cryst. Growth Des., 22, 1229–1236 (2022)
- "Two-Dimensional Organoferroelasticity in a Single Crystal of 4-Iodoaniline” S. Ranjan and *S. Takamizawa, Crystal Cryst. Growth Des., 22, 1831–1836 (2022,).
- "Four Directional Twinning Deformation of an Anisotropic Molecular Single Crystal Based on Three Different Modes of Mechanical Twinning” T. Sasaki, S. Sakamoto, *S. Takamizawa, Crystal Growth & Des., 22, 174-179 (2022)
- "Characterization of Organoferroelasticity in a TEMPO Crystal” S. Ranjan and *S. Takamizawa, Cryst. Growth Des., 22 585–589 (2022).
- “Thermal Diffusivity of Organosuperelastic Soft Crystals during Stress-Induced Phase Transition” M. Ryu1, S. Takamizawa, *J. Morikawa, Appl. Phys. Lett., 119, 251902 (2021).[7 pages] (領域内共同研究 A03公募 森川)DOI: 10.1063/5.0055707
- "Perpendicularly Oriented Dual Organosuperelasticity Correlated with Molecular Symmetry” T. Sasaki, S. Ranjan, *S. Takamizawa, Cryst. Growth & Des., 21, 3902-3907 (2021).
- "An Organosuperelastic Mechanism with Bending Molecular Chain Bundles Crystal” T. Sasaki, S. Sakamoto, E. R. Engel, *S. Takamizawa, Cryst. Growth & Des., 21(5) 2920-2924 2021
- "A Photoluminescent Organosuperelastic Crystal of 7-Amino-4-methylcoumarin” T. Sasaki, S. Ranjan, *S. Takamizawa, CrystEngComm, 23, 5801-5804 (2021).DOI: 10.1039/D1CE00359C
- "Versatile Organosuperelastic Deformability by Multiple Mechanical Twinning" T. Sasaki, K. Nishizawa, *S. Takamizawa, Cryst. Growth Des., 2021, 2453-2458
- "Twinning-Based Organosuperelasticity and Chirality in a Single Crystal of an Achiral Donor–Acceptor Type Schiff Base Induced by Charge-Transfer Interactions" T. Sasaki, S. Sakamoto, *S. Takamizawa, Cryst. Growth Des., 20, 8079-8083 (2020).
- "Organoferroelasticity Mediated by Water of Crystallization" T. Sasaki, *S. Takamizawa, Cryst. Growth Des., 20, 6990-6994 (2020).
- "Temperature-Diversified Anisotropic Superelasticity and Ferroelasticity in a 3-Methyl-4-Nitrobenzoic Acid Crystal" Y. Takasaki, T. Sasaki, S. Sakamoto, Y. Takasaki, *S. Takamizawa, Cryst. Growth Des., 20, 6211-6216 (2020).
- "Flash Shape-Memorization Processing and Inversion of a Polar Direction in a Chiral Organosuperelastic Crystal of 1,3,5-Tricyanobenzene" T. Sasaki, S. Sakamoto, *S. Takamizawa, Cryst. Growth Des., 20, 4621-4626 (2020).
- "Strictly Regulated Two-Dimensional Slippage in a Lamellar Single Crystal of 5-Fluorouracil" T. Sasaki, Y. Miyamoto, *S. Takamizawa, Cryst. Growth Des., 20, 4779-4782 (2020).
- "Ferroelasticity with a Biased Hysteresis Loop in a Co-Crystal of Pimelic Acid and 1,2-Di(4-pyridyl)ethane" T. Sasaki, S. Sakamoto, K. Nishizawa, *S. Takamizawa, Cryst. Growth Des., 20, 3913-3917 (2020).
- "Organoferroelastic Crystal Prepared by Supramolecular Synthesis" T. Sasaki, S. Sakamoto, S. Takamizawa, Cryst. Growth Des., 20, 1935-1939 (2020).
- "A Multidirectional Superelastic Organic Crystal by Versatile Ferroelastical Manipulation" T. Sasaki, S. Sakamoto, Y. Takasaki, *S. Takamizawa, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 59, 4340-4343 (2020).
- "Twinning Organosuperelasticity of a Fluorinated Cyclophane Single Crystal" T. Sasaki, S. Sakamoto, *S. Takamizawa, Cryst. Growth Des., 19, 5491-5493 (2019).
- "Shape Rememorization of an Organosuperelastic Crystal via Superelasticity-Ferroelasticity Interconversion" S. Sakamoto, T. Sasaki, A. Sato-Tomita, *S. Takamizawa, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 58, 13722-13726 (2019). (領域内共同研究 A02-03 佐藤)
- "Controllability of coercive stress in organoferroelasticity by the incorporation of a bulky flipping moiety in molecular crystals" S. H. Mir, Y. Takasaki, E. R. Engel, *S. Takamizawa, CrystEngComm, 20, 3807-3811 (2018).DOI: 10.1039/C8CE00295A
- "Enhancement of dissipated energy by large bending of an organic single crystal undergoing twinning deformation" S. H. Mir, Y. Takasaki, E. R. Engel, *S. Takamizawa, RSC Advances, 8, 21933-21936 (2018).DOI: 10.1039/C8RA02499E
- "Versatile ferroelastic deformability in an organic single crystal by twinning about a molecular zone axis" E. R. Engel, *S. Takamizawa, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 57, 11888-11892 (2018).(Cover Picture)
- "Superplasticity in an organic crystal" *S. Takamizawa, Y. Takasaki, T. Sasaki, N. Ozaki, Nature Commun., 9, 3984 (2018).(プレスリリース)
- "Versatile Shape Recoverability of Odd-Numbered Saturated Long-Chain Fatty Acid Crystals" *S. Takamizawa, Y. Takasaki, Cryst. Growth Des., 19, 1912-1920 (2019).
- "Twinning ferroelasticity facilitated by the partial flipping of phenyl rings in single crystals of 4,4-dicarboxydiphenyl ether" R. E. Engel, Y. Takasaki, H. S. Mir, *S. Takamizawa, R. Soc. Open Sci., 5, 171146 (2018).DOI: 10.1098/rsos.171146
- "An organoferroelasticity driven by molecular conformational change" H. S. Mir, Y. Takasaki, *S. Takamizawa, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 20, 4631-4635 (2018).(Cover)DOI: 10.1039/C7CP07206F
- "Ferroelasticity in an organic crystal: a macroscopic and molecular level study" H. S. Mir, Y. Takasaki, R. E. Engel, *S. Takamizawa, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 56, 15882-15885 (2017).(VIP paper、Inside Cover)
- "Discovery of Superelasticity and Shape-memory Effect in Organic Crystals" S. Takamizawa (Invited), International Conference On Martensitic Transformations (ICOMAT 2017) (Chicago, USA, Jul. 9-14, 2017)
- "Organosuperelasticity: New Physical Element in Chemistry" S. Takamizawa (Invited), The 23rd International Conference on the Chemistry of the Organic Solid State (ICCOSS XXII) (Stellenbosch, Republic of South Africa, Apr. 2-7, 2017)
- S. Takamizawa, "Discovery of Superelasticity and Shape-memory Effect in Organic Crystals" ICOMAT 2017 (International Conference on Martensitic Transformations) , Chicago, US, Jul. 9-14, 2017 . Invited speaker
- S. Takamizawa, “Organosuperelasticity: New physical element in chemistry” ICCOSS XXIII (23rd International Conference on Chemistry of the Organic Solid State), Stellenbosch, South Africa, Apr. 2-7, 2017．Invited speaker